Thursday, September 9

VOGUE, MEET SPARKLE

Dear Vogue!Fun, Eclectic, and Useful Tips from the Teenage
Fashion Guru! This is an autobiographical letter to Vogue Editor-
at-Large André Leon Talley.
My name is Sparkle Sterling and when it comes to fashion I am a COBRA! I have what it takes to work for you. I’m a style columnist for my amazing college newspaper The Paper because I’m addicted to fashion! I'm a film/journalism major at The City College of New York, and a full-time hipster. I've appeared in many newspapers, fashion blogs and magazines because of my unique, classic-yet-edgy sense of style. I've been involved with the fashion industry in one way or another since age four. Now I'm 19 years old, I'm Black and I know more about fashion than any of my peers.
I've modeled my fashion after Hollywood starlets and Old Hollywood divas, along with the help of Anna Wintour, and Coco Chanel. I've attended every New York Fashion Week since moving to the city. I show up in my own designer duds and cameras flock to my
wardrobe as if I were Kate Moss. I blew Anna Sui away with my eloquence when I greeted her with, "Ahhh... the woman that never reveals her age." I broke up a crowd full of lushes at Bergdorf's Fashion’s Night Out just to tell Peter Som that sailor pants look stunning on me and that he should make more. “But next time with red leather piping going down the side to give it some more edge!” He laughed and replied, "You are very charming" then gave me huge hug. He loved my knowledge of his clothes – even his previous clothing lines.

If I came to Vogue for an interview, I know I would blow you away with my knowledge of fashion, film, and music. Having me in your corner would only add to your fierceness as Editor-at-Large (a little ego stroking), and I would bring youthful insight to the table. Another thing you'll like about me is that I'm not a "yes" girl. I'm real, honest, and down to earth, I know when to humble myself yet I'm assertive and I think fast on my feet. For instance, at Bergdorf’s Fashion’s Night Out I got an oil spot on my chiffon dress and I was not meeting you like that! So I went to the Chanel section and robbed a mannequin of its decorative chiffon flower (sorry Karl), hiked the corner of my dress up, pinned it, and the whole night everyone asked me where I got it! Even you eyed it. I'm ready to do whatever it takes to be the best employee Vogue has ever had! I'd work as an unpaid intern, fetch coffee, and be sure not to wear stockings around Anna. I'll hold your turban while contributing young, fresh, and innovative ideas. I can note-take, clean showrooms, and sew – the works! I can write well, both structurally and creatively. I would shine in any field but this is the one I want to shine in. I've spent many grueling hours in showrooms, so I'm familiar with how it works. I'm amazing at putting together ensembles, concepts, and photo shoots. I'm the 19-year old Fashion Guru! I'm extremely outgoing and fun to be around. I'm punctual and efficient. I landed a fashion column my first week as a freshman by convincing the editor that I was the Carrie Bradshaw of my generation. She recruited me on the subway without even knowing I could write! The interesting thing is that not only do girls my age look to me for fashion and shopping advice, but middle-aged women who attend my college as well. I receive emails all of the time from older women asking about inexpensive ways to revamp their style.

My daily highlights include picking out rocking getups to wear around my favorite island, sharing my fashion adventures with my readers, and locating designer steals. I'm living proof that you don't have to be rich to be a fashion socialite! I love fashion, I know fashion, I live and breathe fashion and I love to share my knowledge and love of it with others. I've never been one to confuse Hervé Léger and Preen! But it doesn't end there! I have a vast and eclectic erudition in the arts, having attended performing arts school myself. Music, hotspots, restaurants, the club scene, underground fashion events, parties and vintage boutiques – I AM the New York lifestyle and I'd love to bring that to Vogue, Look Books, showrooms, fashion shows, displays, and celebrities! By being an African American Vogue editor, you are among
those who have given me the opportunity to do so. All I'm asking for is an interview. Ten minutes of your demanding schedule and I know you would agree with everything I've written. Looking forward to meeting with you. Je sais que vous m'aimerez.

Cheers!

Sparkle

Facebook: Sparkle Sterling
Twitter: @sparklesterling

No comments:

Post a Comment